Friday, August 21, 2009

IT'S A BOY!!!!

Yes, that's right.....we have a referral for a baby boy! Roger and I got the call yesterday, August 20th, at 5:08 p.m. We were not expecting it, to say the least, even though we were right at 8 months of waiting and we were told to expect 6 to 9 months. But isn't that the way it always goes? Just when you least expect it. Although I did have a dream last Thursday night that our caseworker called my cell phone and said, "Hi, Abby, this is Crystal. I'm just calling to let you know that I'm going to have some good news for you very soon, so be sure to answer your phone." Amazing. Needless to say, we are over the moon, beyond excited, and still processing our new reality. Thank you to all of our wonderful friends and family who have prayed for us, cried with us, shook their fists in the air with us, kept the faith for us, reassured us, and encouraged us. Roger and I have had so much fun sharing this amazing news with everyone over the past 24 hours. Your reactions and excitement is absolutely priceless. Last night was pure shock and now today I think it's starting to finally sink in. I know this because the minute I have time alone to really think about this sweet baby and what this all means, I cry just at the thought of him. This is just such an awesome place to be. Please continue to keep our sweet little boy in your thoughts and prayers, that he will stay healthy and happy and thriving and that we will hopefully pass court on the first try so we can bring him home ASAP!

A little info on our little man:
  • He is approximately 2 months old -- date of birth listed on his paperwork says 7-9-09
  • He looks amazingly healthy! He weighed approximately 9 pounds on 7-24-09 -- chubby for an Ethiopian baby!
  • He has an Ethiopian name that we will use as his middle name and a first name Roger and I have picked out for him that we will share with everyone after we pass court (Sorry, Grandmas!)
  • He has big, sweet cheeks and gorgeous brown eyes
  • We are falling madly in love with him.

We would love nothing more than to share his beautiful face with everyone, but that will have to wait until we pass court. As for how things will progress from here on out, there is still a process. We are now waiting to learn of our court date. Ethiopian courts will be closing within the next week or so and will reopen the beginning of October. We will probably not learn when our court date is until AT LEAST October. Hopefully we will GET a court date before the end of the year and hopefully we will travel to bring him home in January or February. These are all estimates and that's all the information we have. We, of course, will post any new updates as we get them.

In case you were wondering who won the "guess our referral date" game, it was my mom who got it right on the nose -- August 20th!

I believe Roger will be posting our video of us seeing our baby's picture for the first time in the next day or so, so check back soon!

22 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Hooray! We are so happy for you! I've been checking your blog every week waiting for this post. I hope that you get an early court date this fall and get your little guy home soon! Our little Ethiopian boy is 7 months old today, so they're only about 5 months apart! We'll have to get them together sometime!
Mary Beth Picker
www.caseypicker.com

Greg Valentine said...

That is fantastic news! Congratulations you two!

-All the Valentines

Michelle said...

Abby, I know you don't know me, but I ran across your blog on Kaylan's blog when I was checking to see if I knew any of the people she was following. Anyway, I recognized you from AIB, as I'm a fellow court reporter. I have loved reading your story and have prayed for you and Roger countless times. This awesome news brought tears to my eyes! It's probably weird to hear this from a stanger, but I'm truly so happy for you guys. Keep the faith.

Michelle Hokenstad

The Michel family said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I can't tell you have happy we are for you guys! Isaac can't wait to meet his new buddy :) (And neither can we!) Sounds like he is a healthy, chunky little guy. We will pray for a smooth, fast process from here on out!

Congrats!!
Laura, Jason, Isaac, and Tenaye

Laura said...

I am SOOOOO happy for you guys!!!!!!! Congrats! Cannot wait until you pass court so I can see his adorable face. I'll keep you both and the little guy in my prayers as you wait out the REALLY hard part! CONGRATS!

Lyra Johnson said...

Congratulations!!!

Email us with some pics and his name so we can look for him on snapfish. Our babies are only one month apart!

I hope we both gets early court dates when the courts open up again.

Can't wait to see his picture!

Anonymous said...

EXCITEMENT doesn't begin to explain what I'm feeling for you!Praise God, right?!?! Can't wait to meet him!

All our love, Sara and Josh

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys!!! Your little man shares a birthday with me, how lucky! I can't wait to see pictures and meet this little guy.

Kelly Muth

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boys rule!!! We are very happy for you!

Congrats mom and dad!

- katy shatto
Diesel's mama

txpaige said...

How exciting! Congratulations! So glad to hear that everything is on track. It moves slowly, I know...but at least it's moving!!!

Congrats!

Paige

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, we are very excited to hear your news! I know it is a huge answered prayer! I cannot wait to meet your little boy!

Love you both!
Jessica and Micah

Kari said...

WHOOOOOHOOOOOO THIS IS MIRACLE NEWS TODAY!!! We are so happy for you!!
xoxo

ellerbee eight said...

YAY! So excited for you! I can't wait to see the chubby cheeks and brown eyes! Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news. This is such a blessing. The waiting will be difficult, but I'm sure it's a relief to know your little boy is out there waiting for you.

My very best,
Gale Scott Patterson

Hilary said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for both of you and your families. God created this baby just for you. He will be perfect! Praying for a quick court date so that we can see his pictures. I bet he is CUTE! Congrats again. Hilary Peacock Austin

Amy said...

Congratulations! He is so young!!! :) Can't wait to hear his name and see his face!! :) Congrats Congrats!

TJ, Kaylan, Miles, Perry & Simon said...

Congrats! Love you guys!!

T & M Twigg said...

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Roger and Abby -
I am so happy for the two of you. Roger's sister told me about you adopting and I have been following your story. Wonderful news!!!!
Stephanie (Sweet) Byrne

Jamie Jo said...

YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I am so excited for the three of you!!!! A little bitty guy! Wow! So fun! I will be in Ehtiopia in September. . .if you want me to bring something, I would be happy to!!! And take pictures, too!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! We go away on vacation and I'm away from the computer a few days and then something BIG happens! :-) I'm so very happy for you guys! Seeing that precious face for the first time is the most amazing experience...only to be topped by holding him for the first time. Praying for a sooner-rather-than-later court date and quick travels after that.
*big hugs*
Missy (Brad and Zeke)

Chatter said...

Woohoo!! Congratulations :). I am so excited for you guys. I can't wait to see pictures of him. Wishing you a speedy court date and happy waiting.
best,
Chandra

Ari