Thursday, July 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

Today was my......ahem......30th birthday, but what a wonderful one it was.  It was also Ari's day in court for his readoption finalization!!  I remember wishing and hoping and praying that we would get a referral on my birthday last year.  Well, that came only three weeks later on August 20th, the day my mom had predicted (really amazing, I know).  But I just LOVE that Ari's court date was today -- on my birthday.  No, we did not plan that.  God planned that because I think He knew just how much I woud appreciate that little gift.  I love when God speaks directly to you -- just plain as day.  Don't you?

For anyone out there who doesn't know and wants to know, in the state of Missouri you have to do a readoption when you adopt internationally.  It is really just a formality, but it is required and it is also the time to do a legal name change.  Up to this point Ari's legal name has been Madegiya Roger Wasson because that is how the Ethiopian government listed it on his Ethiopian birth certificate.  So now he can get his Social Security number/card with the proper name and we can also now file for his N600, which is his Certificate of Citizenship.  Right now he is a permanent resident.  Blah, blah, blah.  Enough of that.  The details and paperwork are never-ending.  The important thing is we are nearly complete with Ari's adoption paperwork/hoops.  

Below is a beautiful picture of two very happy parents, one very kind judge, and one very sleepy little boy who was asleep during the entire court proceedings and then was woken up abruptly when the courtroom started clapping as soon as the judge officially approved our adoption!  And he received a little blue bunny as a gift from the court clerk.  How sweet is that?!?    


3 comments:

elisa said...

Abby....I am totally balling right now! How awesome! I am sooooo excited to talk to you about this!
Elisa

Gina said...

Congrats on the re-adoption. I can't believe how big he is. That boy has got some long legs. :)

Morning Sparrow said...

Hi, Abby. This is Casey. I am also a Hope family. Just wanted to say hello as I've started to follow your blog. We are in the process of readopting/name change in KS right now too. Ari is beautiful! Look forward to following your blog. :)

Ari