Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reunion (Roger's View)

July 11th, 2009. I traveled with Abby to her 10-year high school reunion (Class of '99) in Garner, Iowa. I've come to realize people really don't want to read blogs. They just want some pictures and a quick story. My views of Garner....


Our Motel. Only Motel in town.

Interior view of our lovely room. Abby and "Evil" Kelly enjoying "cheerleader beer" just like '99
Abby opening "cheerleader beer" on our built-in bottle opener. The Marriott doesn't have that!

In front of the firestation waiting for the parade.

In case we forgot where we were, or what we were doing there.

No trip to Iowa is complete without SWEET CORN and MARGARINE!

"Evil" getting some candy at the parade.

(Some of) The Class of '99
"TACO-IN-A-BAG"??? "LOOSE MEATS"???
****ABBY'S DISCLAIMER****
Ah, Garner. I miss that place. I really do. It is the epitome of "Small Town USA." Roger can joke, but it was a really great place to grow up. And if you've ever had the privilege of knowing an Iowan, you know how loyal and proud we are of our home state (almost to a fault), and I'm no different. I had so much fun last weekend reminiscing, seeing faces I haven't seen in ten years, and catching up with old friends. I think Roger heard enough "remember when" stories shared between me and my closest friends to last him a lifetime, though. So, yes, there were some funny circumstances as above mentioned. But unless you grew up in a community of 3,000 people with only one stoplight in the entire town, where you knew everyone's name in your graduating class, where you used to ride your bike all over town at the age of 10 by yourself (gasp!) because it was that safe, if your childhood summer days were spent at the community swimming pool because that's about all there was to do, and if your hometown's one and only claim to fame is celebrated over a summer weekend, well, you just probably don't share the same appreciation for it as I do!

3 comments:

TJ, Kaylan, Miles, Perry & Simon said...

This is too funny! The picture of your friend getting candy made me laugh out loud as did the loose meats:) Oh, Iowa...

Amanda said...

I started life in a smaller town, but moved around after 5th grade, so I understand both aspects. I rode my bike anywhere I wanted and it was awesome. If you liked the "taco in a bag," you would love Neewollah in Independence, KS. It's a whole week of yummy fried goodness.

Kris, Staci, & Marley said...

Hey guys, we just found your blog via the Bottomly's blog. We too are adopting from Ethiopia and live in Missouri also...Albany,MO to be exact. If you've never heard of it (and I'm sure you probably haven't), it's a very small town (pop. 1200ish) in NW Missouri about 25 minutes from the Iowa line. It's good to find another adopting Missourian. We've added you to our blog list and look forward to following you guys on the rest of your journey!

Ari