Monday, December 21, 2009

Homemade Baby Food



So this is something I've found to do to bide the time while we wait to travel. I was inspired by my fellow adoptive friend Meredith to make homemade baby food (if you've seen the before and after pictures of Zoe, you'll see it works!), and I am having so much fun! For all of you experienced mothers out there who think this is absolutely unnecessary and will prove to be an inconvenience later on down the road, I would ask that you refrain from pissing in my cheerios and keep your comments to yourself. As an adoptive mom who has missed out on the first six months of my son's life and everything that goes along with those first six months, I find this to be a therapeutic way of dealing with that, a way to provide Ari with something that comes from me and from my hands and effort, not from a jar off a shelf. From all of the pictures we've received of Ari so far, it appears he is receiving good nutrition, but an orphanage is an orphanage and I think he deserves any extra nutritional boost we can give him once he gets home. Plus, baby food is really easy to make (I wish all cooking was this simple), cheaper than jarred baby food, contains no preservatives or additives, is organic if you so choose to buy organic ingredients, and I've heard it's easier to transition babies to table food without creating a picky eater because they're used to the bold flavors already rather than the bland, overprocessed food that has a shelf life of two years. Now, whether that is true or not about the picky eater aspect of it, I don't know, but I've decided it's worth a try. So far I've made carrots and sweet potatoes. I think we'll do mangoes next. I've been making big batches and freezing them (you can freeze homemade baby food for up to eight weeks), so I think Ari will have plenty to eat for the first few weeks he's home before I need to make more!

10 comments:

Lyra Johnson said...

Make as much as you can now....it will become a hassle once you have him. You may have to add sugar for the first few meals. Everything they were feeding Lyra, sugar (and honey of all things) was the 2nd or 3rd ingredient. We just now have take all sugar out of everything.

Contact us if you have questions about travel...

Ben

Rachel Sarah said...

Good idea. I'm making a mental note to do the same thing when we get to this stage. Blessings!

Lyra Johnson said...

Hey, not sure why Ben said it was a hassle because I'm the one who makes the baby food. I meant to make some like you're doing before we left but ran our of time. I made some when we got back and put Lyra in the Baby Bjorn while I made it. I agree it is so easy to make. Lyra has been eating sweet potatoes (with no sugar) so far and loves them. Will start carrots when she feels better. Ben is right about the sugar. We had to add a little sugar to her rice cereal for 2 days, and now she eats it with a little banana to sweeten it.

Ari will love it. I've noticed Lyra's hair growing fast and I think she's put on more weight.

Chatter said...

Awesome job mama! I wish I would have been ambitious enough to have made it myself. I think it's a great idea and oh so healthy! Ari is adorably by the way!!

Anonymous said...

You've convinced me. I told my mom about you and she talked me into it. She said she did it for me! Thx for the inspiration.

Hilary said...

You will be so glad you did this. Personally homemade baby food is healthier, cheaper, easy to store, and easy to serve. Again you're going to be glad you planned ahead and made this. Ari is going to LOVE you guys! Way to go Mama Ab!

Good to see you guys on Saturday night! Hilary Austin

adrienne said...

I think it's great that you're making everything. I've made all of my daughter Lucy's baby food too. She's a great eater, and I like to think it's because she knows I made it all with love!! :)

If you don't already use a Magic Bullet to do the pureeing part, it works great. And you may already have used this site, but wholesomebabyfood.com is a great resource!

Good luck... and I can't wait to see pics of Ari at home!

Tyler said...

I believe Amy has a cookbook that may be of use to you. Eventhough it has no recipes for "cheerios and piss", you may still find it helpful.

MrsRohlf said...

we made baby food for both our kids and i'm a big fan! yes it is more of a hassle (we kept a few jars on hand for traveling and such) but overall, it is a great way to go! :)

Amy said...

I'm going to make baby food for Karis, too. I just got a food processor for Christmas and I learned a few tips from your blog! Thanks! And "Way to go!" :)

Ari