Monday, December 28, 2009

Irrational Fears

So I think my stress is starting to show in some interesting ways. Instead of worrying about what I'm going to do if Ari has a hard time adjusting and won't sleep for a week straight or if he has explosive diarrhea on the plane for 15 hours, I'm now more concerned about our house being robbed while we're gone. Seriously, that was the conversation Roger and I had last night laying in the dark, listening to every creak and squeak, totally freaking ourselves out. We made ourselves feel better by scheduling ADT to come later this week and reactivate our home security system. Good grief, as if we've never gone on vacation before. And now, thanks to the most recent terrorist stunt that the media WILL NOT quit talking about, I'm picturing our plane going down in flames on the way home into D.C. Damn you, terrorists. Not to mention the fact that Ethiopia is geographically located smack dab in the middle of two supposed terrorist "hot spots" -- Yemen and Somalia. I know, I know -- I'm sooooo worst case scenario and dramatic. Like I said, it's the stress. My mom asked me the other day if I was starting to get nervous about being in Ethiopia, and I can honestly say no, I'm not. I'm actually really excited and looking forward to it. My only concern in that regard was eating something bad and getting sick and not being able to take care of Ari like we want and need to. But with our trusty Cipro at our side, I'm feeling much better about that. And now my freezer is bursting with baby food and Roger and Abby food, so I can no longer do that to occupy myself. I think my best bet is to just quit watching the news. Reruns of Will & Grace and Frasier at bedtime it is.

4 comments:

Lyra Johnson said...

Ok, hold on. I thought I was the queen of irrational fears. You sound just like me.

I also thought of our house getting robbed. We live in a small town and EVERYONE knew when we were gone. I put on our blog that we hired a house sitter, but we actually just had a friend stop by a few times. Nothing happened.

I got to take some Xanax for the plane. It worked very well and I have a real fear of flying. Nobody took any of the planes down.

You know how to be safe food-wise in Ethiopia. If you do get sick we have a number for an American doctor who has a clinic in Addis. We never got to that point, but I felt better knowing it was an option. Even so, bring the Cipro, the pedialite and the rest of your medicine cabinet. Drink lots of water. I forgot to do that when I started worrying about the baby and it made me really really sick. But I didn't die.

Even if something happens, the Ethiopians are so nice and welcoming that you will be in good hands. When Lyra was sick, at least two housekeepers from the hotel were ready to take care of her. Plus you have an amazing driver who would drop everything if you needed him to.

You know all this. You guys will be fine just like we were fine. I did all the same worrying. Its normal.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy Ari. Oh, stick him in some Huggies that are a size bigger on the plane to absorb all the poopies, because that might be your only legitimate concern out of all of these...

Adrienne said...

Hi guys. I think your fears are normal and very understandable. There are so many unknowns in international adoption especially at the travel stage, that it is very un-nerving.

We travelled to China in June at the height of H1N1 - haz mat came on the plane in ghostbusters suits, everyone was in fear of being stuck in quarantine for who knows how long, horror stories of families being in separate cities, not being able to get your child once you got there, you get the idea.

We, too, were very worried about getting sick and the long flights with a four year old who spoke a different language and just met us.

Long story short, it all went FINE. No one got sick. No issues with flights or quarantine or anything.

I really think God takes special care of families travelling for adoption. We kept reminding ourselves that "He wouldn't bring us this far to let us fail."

We will be praying for you. Take care.

Renee said...

Step away from the TV! That stuff really gets to me too. Times like these I am sooo glad we don't have TV, because I am one to obsess and watch every little tidbit of freaky scary news.

You guys will be fine and you'll have a fabulous trip. I'm so excited to hear about it! I can't believe how close you are :o)

Missy and Brad said...

If you like peanut butter, you might take some along. We spent $10 on a jar of PB in Vietnam but it saved us from starving when our stomachs weren't feeling 100%. (We never even bothered with our Cipro though we had it with us.) Yep...it was the best $10 we ever spent. :-)
Missy

Ari