Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Winter Wonderland

That's what it looks like outside, anyway. It's really beautiful. I can say this because this is the first "real" snow of winter '08-'09 in Springfield, MO, and we still have power! If it was the tenth snow/sleet/icestorm (because we usually get all three forms of precipitation at the same time) of the year, I may have something else to say about it. I've been hibernating (working) inside all day today and last night, because frankly it's just easier than dealing with the travel conditions. We did get the Jeep out tonight to get Chinese carryout, but it was really just an excuse to go "four-wheeling" on the snow-covered roads. On our way back into our neightborhood Roger did his good deed for the day by trying to push a car up the hill into our neighborhood....to no avail. Oh, well. At least he tried. If you don't have four-wheel drive around our neck of the woods, you're really screwed! But, I must say, bad weather like this really motivates me to get stuff done around the house and in my office that I usually try to put off for as long as possible, like getting everything ready for our taxes to be prepared. I hate that project but always feel awesome when I get it done. Now we just wait with abated breath to find out how much more money we "owe" the government. Oh, the excitement is just too much.

Well, since Roger alluded to the fact that I would be posting about our weekend, I will uphold my end of the deal and not leave you all hanging. I'm sure you're just dying to hear about our exciting weekend. First of all, I do not want to run for mayor -- at all. I wasn't even in Student Council back in the day, so running for mayor would be a little out of my league. All I really want is for Springfield to pass a smoking ban in all public places. Maybe Roger thinks the only way to accomplish that is to hold public office. I don't know. But come on, people! It's 2009! Are you kidding me? If New York City can go smoke free (along with a lot of other major cities), so can we. What precipitated this little tirade of mine was sitting in a nice restaurant/bar and having three women standing 2 inches behind me blowing cigarette smoke directly in my face. I was actually so grossed out I removed myself to go stand on the other side of the room rather than complaining so as to not incovenience them. Then, as it would of course go, the three women walked right past me on their way to being seated and had the nerve to say in a not-so-nice manner, "You can go back now." As if I offended them. But guess what? They didn't come smoke in my face anymore that night. I guess I got my point across. So I hate to be "that girl," but I just have to say smoking is really offensive to those of us who don't do it and have no choice but to be around it.

Sunday afternoon we had the pleasure of attending Finn's 2nd birthday! It was at a gym, as you can tell from the pictures below, and the adults were having just as much fun as the kids were. Finn got all sorts of fun toys and clothes, but his favorite gift appeared to be two packs of gum! Oh, to be 2 again......

The birthday boy!

Apparently no one read this sign...

Becoming one with the pommel horse

Jeff proving what we all already know -- this is harder than it looks on TV!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i really like the way that roger can pose on the pommel horse. I'm sure abby that you were rocking the floor routines.

Ari