Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again


Yesterday I went back to work.  Well, kind of....not really.  I took my first depo since December 30th, which is the longest break I've had from work in my 7 1/2 years as a court reporter.  I think the longest break before that was our honeymoon in '05 which was 10 days.  And I'm not really "going back to work" yet.  I'm only taking jobs that (very selfishly) are convenient for me to take.  Or if the firm I work for is really swamped and needs some help covering jobs, like tomorrow.  I'm still not quite ready to leave the little wee one with anyone other than his daddy either, so Roger is being a HUGE team player and coming home early while I'm away.  So yesterday I had a 15-minute depo.  Roger wondered if I made enough money to even make it worth it for him to come home early.  Well, I don't know, but it did pay for the Wal-Mart grocery run  after my job -- where I also bought Ari three new toys, one of which his dad requested I buy.  One toy cost $27.00, one was $13.00, and the third was $1.00.  Guess which is Ari's favorite?  That's right -- the $1.00 red rubber ball.  So the depo today served its purpose by not only getting my fingers (and brain) moving again, but by also boosting my confidence that I haven't  over the past six weeks forgotten how to do this job.  Tomorrow I have a potentially four-hour long psychologist depo, which is why I felt the need for a little "warm-up" yesterday.  I have to admit, it did feel good to be working again.  Court reporting is such a big part of my identity; now if I can just figure out that magical balance between career and motherhood.  Maybe very part-time court reporter and full-time mommy for a couple years???

5 comments:

Josh & Sara said...

LOVE the sound of that =)

elisa said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed getting out! I have gone back and forth the whole time I've been a mom. Every job I've ever taken has been something I could leave if I needed or wanted to. I'm about to dive into a Census job...lol. Nights and weekends!

Gina said...

Your little guy is so sweet! I am wondering how going back to work will be whenever I get put into that position. I have enjoyed watching your posts lately. Thanks for the updates!
Gina :)

Gina said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. It is so good to hear that Yosef is doing well. I can't believe how huge his eyes are! That is going to be trouble one day. :) I have been a bit frustrated with Hope, but that is the general word. I have been in touch with Kate and Ben who also live in Springfield. They sent me photos and a video of Yosef in Dec. Their little girl is his best friend. I look forward to meeting them in the future. I am orginially from Rolla MO. My mom lives there and I travel back every summer for a long visit. Maybe we could all get together this summer. Thanks again for the encouraging words. Have a great day!
Gina :)

Our Crazy Life! said...

Abby-Just catching up on some of your older posts. I agree, going back to work is hard, but being a nurse is a huge part of my identity too. I have finally learned (after being a full time working mommy for 2 years) not to feel guilty about leaving my boys every day. You eventually learn to let things like cleaning your house to go the wayside so you can be a mommy during the time that you are home. Ari is so adorable and I'm so happy that you finally have your little man. You'll find that right balance with time! Mindy

Ari