Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One Month Home

Can you even believe it??  One month home already.  I wish time would have flown by this fast while we were waiting for Ari to come home!  But, as they say, good things come to those who wait.

I can honestly say motherhood is as great as I thought it would be.  It really, truly is.  I haven't felt this blissful since Roger and I were newlyweds.  We really do feel complete now.  We have been blessed with an easy transition and adjustment period (so far), and I think it's all because Ari is such an easygoing, happy baby.

A couple things I've realized in the past month:

1.  I don't need nearly as much sleep as I once thought I did.

2.  Taking care of a 20-pound baby 24/7 is very physical -- apparently enough exercise to lose and keep off 7 pounds.

3.  Between the three of us, doctor appointments are now a regular part of our life, unfortunately.

4.  Ari's attachment to us is a process that takes time, no matter how well things are going.

5.  I'm a lot nicer about sharing my baby with people than I thought I would be!

6.  My love for Ari grows deeper every day, which kind of blows my mind a little bit because I love him so much already.

7.  Roger is the amazing father I always knew he would be.


8.  I am in awe at just the thought of how much this child is going to teach us.  It's already happening and it started happening before we even met him.

9.  I see God's intentional plan for us that He had all along in action when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror rocking Ari to sleep.

I suppose the list could go on and on because every day I learn new things about myself in my new role as a mother -- what I didn't realize I'm capable of and what my shortcomings are -- but those are some of the few that really stick out.

1 comment:

Josh & Sara said...

Very insightful! (And for every pound you lose, I gain . . .hmmmm). Can't wait to meet him in a couple of weeks!!

Sara

Ari