Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Dreaded Dex

After a week of being on Lupron and Dexamethasone, I can officially say I am experiencing side effects. I was hoping to be one of the lucky few who wouldn't, but, alas, that is not the case.

Side effect No. 1: Extreme hunger -- the kind where you think you might throw up if you don't eat immediately. This is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore. I'm just powering through with glass after glass of water trying to trick my brain into thinking I'm full.

Side effect No. 2: Hangover-like headaches every afternoon. I'm actually not sure if this is from (1) the Dexamethasone; (2) the fact that I quit taking BCP (birth control pill) Sunday night and therefore my body is adjusting to new hormone levels; or (3) from taking a depo every day for the past two weeks to try to compensate for our medical expenses. Whatever the cause is, it's annoying.

Side effect No. 3: Mood swings. Last Thursday I had myself a really good cry in the car for no apparent reason at all listening to "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban. Seriously.

Side effect No.4: Obsessive/compulsive disorder. I don't even want to know how many times I walk over to the refrigerator every day to check and recheck my drug calendar to make sure I've done the right injection in the right dose at the right time, didn't forget to start a new medication, etc., etc., etc.

Other than that, everything is going great!

No comments:

Ari