Thursday, April 16, 2009

3-3-3

3 months -- 3 weeks -- 3 days
When I originally started this idea I thought it would be pretty neat. Then I realized that there really is no such thing as 4 months --4 weeks -- 4 days. And there is really no such thing as 11 months -- 11 weeks -- 11 days. (That's like a year and a half, right?) So in the future I guess we'll have to be more creative.
Abby and I have been doing very well about "patiently waiting", until about a week ago. For some reason this past week has been very hard. We know that we are just beginning the process and many other families have been waiting months/years longer than us for adoption news....especially those adopting for China. In a way though, Abby and I have been waiting just over three years to become parents. Back in April of 2006 (yes, that was 3 years ago! scary!) we thought we would try to become parents the "easy" way and have biological children. I find it amazing that they neglect to tell you (or I wasn't paying attention in Health class) that women can usually only get prego 2-3 days out of the month. I was close to 30 before I knew that. Was I supposed to know that?!?! The whole idea of people getting pregnant still amazes me. For those of you that "tried" to get pregnant and it "took" three months or less you seriously have no idea.
To me getting pregnant is still the most amazing thing in the world. We have so little control over the whole process. But for those of you that did get pregnant so early/easy please don't take it for granted. OK, enough about all that.
So the last week has been harder than previous weeks but we have come to expect easy and hard weeks. It probably doesn't help that we came across a YAHOO! Group about Ethiopian adoptions. There are so many stories flying around. I finally had to dismiss myself from the group. I figure if I'm supposed to know about something going on with the Ethiopian adoption process then my case worker will let me know. You could drive yourself mad trying to stay on top of every article, issue, concern, opinion, etc....
In the meantime, we are reading positive blogs (to the left of this post) and keeping in close contact with some amazing people this adoption process has brought into our lives. Thanks to the entire Branson Group. It's going to be weird next month without going to Gabby's house. Rob and Julie, we miss you , but understand. Matt & Meredith, thanks for being our best friends through all this. It's so great to have people going through the exact same stuff at the exact same time. And to Ed & Laura, thanks for the laughs.
I continue to be optimistic and hope for a quick referral. We are getting ready to help with a huge Formula Drive in the coming weeks. Until then, I'm signing off for a while. (Don't you think it's time for Abby to post again?!?!?)
(And BLOGGER is really ticking me off!!!)

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I loved your post today... okay, I am in tears, but loved it!!!

T & M Twigg said...

Hang in there guys!!!!! It will happen.

Adopting1Soon said...

Ok, I'm totally hungry now...

Kari said...

Rog & Abby,
We are soooo thankful we have such an amazing fellowship group...what a blessing to know you:)) I wear your T shirt ALL the time!! We can't wait to hear your screams all the way from Branson. We'll see ya tonight!
ps: finally got my act together & showing off your blog on our blog:)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

You have so many people praying for you! Josh and I were at church on Sunday and saw a family with 4 (older) adopted children. Just think, that day will come to you soon - 4 or not! It'll feel like you were never without. This is actually such a sweet blissful time for you . . the anticipation will make the real thing so much more amazing!

We actually wear your shirts all the time too. It was a good way to keep you in our thoughts!

Sara

Jamie Jo said...

Great post! I loved it! Thanks also for missing us in advance! :) We have LOVED getting to know the two of you! I hate it that it happened months before we left, but I think God has something in store for our friendships in the future! Y'all are wonderful!

Laura said...

I love this post...and not because you mention me, of course. Seriously, it's a great post.

Don't feel bad. I didn't know the whole bit about only being able to get knocked up a few days a month until some of my friends decided to get knocked up. Totally bummed their husbands out b/c it ruined their excitement over the, um, process of getting pregnant. I guess it's not as much fun when it's narrowed down to like five days of, um, activity each month. So then my question became: how the heck do so many people get pregnant "accidentally?" I mean, if one puts some effort into not getting pregnant (with obvious, um, means), and then there's only a really small window to actually get KU'd, how's it even possible for it to happen "accidentally?" Sorry. I've always just wondered that.

I hope the rest of the wait moves quickly for you. You guys are in my thoughts.

Ari