Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ahhh....Floating

A couple weeks ago (before we became #1 on the waiting list!) I was feeling a little frustrated/grumpy/impatient/exasperated about the whole long process of adoption, and Roger, bless his heart, was doing his darndest to cheer me up. He very generously threw out a couple ideas, some weekend trips we could take to maybe get our minds off the long wait. He suggested Vegas, one of our favorite places to visit; also New York City, always a good time and also an opportunity to visit my good high school friend Kate. I snapped back at him like a spoiled child, "No! That just doesn't cut it anymore. Those are just distractions away from what I really want." Well, after I sucked it up and quit feeling sorry for myself, I decided that floating sounded really fun and maybe was exactly what I needed. So this past Saturday we did one of my most favorite activities in the whole world -- floating -- with some really great friends, Matt and Meredith. Growing up in Iowa, I had never been floating. The rivers and scenery there are just not nearly as pretty. And the water is not as clean -- too many field chemicals. But the summer of '06 I had the pleasure of experiencing floating in the Ozarks for the first time and I totally fell in love with it. I think in the past three summers I've dragged a few relatives, my parents, my brother and his girlfriend, and some Iowa friends along with me when they've come to visit us in the summer. This time we went down to Ponca, AR, and floated the Buffalo River, which I had never floated before, and it was fabulous. Matt and Meredith agreed to go along with us for one last "child-free" weekend before they bring baby Zoe home. It was a really great day -- perfect weather, surrounded by God's beautiful creation, great friends, and a little white dog (Jill) sitting on my lap who loves floating as much as I do. It just doesn't get any better than that. And both canoes made it the whole 10 miles without ever tipping!! There may have been a couple close calls, but Meredith and I were in really good hands with our guys. I take absolutely no credit for it (except I maybe do have a good sense of balance).


Yes, I sit in a lawn chair while Roger sits in the back and does the rowing. I always offer to help and he says it's just easier if I leave my paddle in the boat, as shown above to the left of my chair.

Matt and Meredith with Meredith experiencing "lawn chair floating" for the first time. I think she's sold on the idea.





Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you all, all 4 of you, are too cute! :) I hope your weekend set you up for a fantastic week! A little love from the plains of KS as we head to the mountains of CO.

Jamie Jo said...

So fun! I'm a little jealous that you got to be carefree and WARM!!!! I'm a little tired of being cold, but when it is August and 101 there, I'll be thankful, I guess! #1 on the waiting list?!?!??! Oh my goodness! I am so excited and anxious for you both!!!!

Chatter said...

I want to "lawn chair float". What a wonderful idea! Any idea how you'll incorporate canoing and kids? Once you figure it out, let me know :).

Looks fun! Hope you are feeling better. You are almost there!!

Ari