Friday, June 12, 2009

Perspective

I have had this post on my mind for over a month but didn't have a great way to add it to our blog. Yesterday gave me the reason I needed. Thursday wasn't awesome. It wasn't great. It wasn't average. It was Thursday. Everything I did started out great and then somehow exploded in my face. No matter how many times I tried to change my attitude, things just kept going downhill.

Luckily, last night was our Adoption Fellowship. And it was exactly what I needed. Let me just tell you I cannot wait until we have our little one home. And I'm really excited that we will be getting an infant. But I'm most looking forward to having a toddler. Where am I going with all of this? Well, after the day I had yesterday, I was in "the mood" as Abby calls it. We drive to Branson with "The Today Show" and I don't say much. Just feeling sorry for myself after the day I had. Then we get to Rae's house and everything changes. I didn't get to play much with Zoie and Vivvy (Vivian), but Rae was my buddy. Sitting on her swing eating chips and cookies and watching her backwash an entire bottle of water, I realized how powerful a child is -- and will be in our lives. No matter the day, knowing that I will have a bundle of joy waiting for me at home gave me a new perpective. Thanks, Rae!

Life is all about your attitude. I've been guilty recently of being down and having a bad attitude. Don't really know why -- just because. But about a month ago I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine that was really down. He asked how I was doing and I decided to tell him all the things I was grateful for at that point in time.

Me: How are things?
Him: Slow. Sales stink. This recession is killing me. How are you?
Me: Excellent. It's sunny. 85 degrees. I have an amazing wife. An incredible life. I can drive a car. I can walk. See. Hear. Talk to my family. Go to any church I want. Eat any food I want....
Him: (Interrupting) So you've been to Ethiopia already?
Me: Nope. Not yet. Just decided to have an Attitude of Gratitude. Start being thankful for the things I do have instead of just being down about the stuff I don't have.

So, I hope you decide to be grateful for all the great things in your life. It's easy to overlook how many great things you take for granted. As I was mowing the yard, this song came up on my iPod. See, it's all about perspective! (And who doesn't love Kenny Rogers?)

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

Seems like you've gotten over Gabby quickly! :)

Ari