Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Finally

We are at the airport. Had no problems with getting our FIVE bags checked. Had a someone watching over us and got the nicest guy ever to check us in. No charge for 2 bags being slightly overweight. No charge for the 5th bag, saving us at least $200.00.

My parents picked us up and brought us to the airport. Abby's parents met us here. Had some good conversation with all of them, took some pictures, said our "good-byes" and went through security. The workers asked if we just got married because of all the family and pictures. Nope, just traveling halfway across the globe to meet our son. Everyone has been so friendly and happy for us. Good start to a fun trip.

Couple of strange things I've been thinking about for a while. January 8th has always been a special day for me....it's my great-grandfather's birthday, Freeman. (That's where I get my middle name, so I've always thought January 8th was an important date) -- And now January 8th will be "Ari Day". It couldn't have happened on a better date. The other thing that I've been thinking about for a while is this saying: You don't become a man until you are a father, or you lose your father. Since Pops dropped off us this morning I guess that means I become a man on Friday. That's one photo I can't wait to have - Me, Pops and Ari.

Just because everyone else seems to do this when they leave, here are a couple of photos for your enjoyment:

Us at the airport
Our luggage. No idea how we are going to move all this when we land in Ethiopia.

8 comments:

The Michel family said...

I am so happy and excited for you. I will be stalking your blog for the next 10 days for updates and family pictures. (No pressure, it's not like you won't be busy or anything...or that you will have a reliable internet connection!)

Laura

Laura said...

I'm so excited for you both. Wishing you an amazing trip to meet Ari! Save travels.

Carla said...

First of all, Congratulatons on your travelling!!! I stumbled on your blog from another blog and then realized that your sweet boy is that the same orphanage as our baby girl! We are traveling on the 23rd to get our daughter. Not sure where we're staying at yet. I think it will be the Panorama. Anyway, congratulations again!!! Your son is a DOLL.
Blessings,
Carla

Anonymous said...

Another Stalker....Ad me to the list...I am nervous and excited for you....keep us posted...the best you can :)


Joclynn

Hilary said...

Prayers for safe travels. So excited for all three of you! Can't wait to see you guys with Ari! Hilary

Anonymous said...

Believe me the porters will be MORE than happy to help you with your luggage at the airport....for a fee.

Good luck with everything.

Ben

Chatter said...

Eeeek! I so enjoy reading both of your perspectives on entering into parenthood and meeting Ari! You two are going to be wonderful parents. Have a safe & beautiful trip, I'll be thinking of you guys.
Chandra!

TJ, Kaylan, Miles, Perry & Simon said...

Love you guys! So amazing...

Ari