Thursday, January 7, 2010

The First Morning

Well, it's 5:45 a.m. and I have access to the blog. Thank you, Tammy, for being our guest blogger when our Internet isn't working. It does appear it may be a little spotty at times, but we've been pleasantly surprised so far at how well it works. So Roger is sleeping next to me and here I am wide awake in the dark. I'm definitely not going back to sleep, so I thought I'd blog to pass the time. We went to bed at about midnight last night, and Roger was smart and took some NyQuil (his favorite). I decided not to take anything, since I'm not one to have a problem sleeping, and I did pretty well, only waking at 3:00 and then again at 5:00 a.m. to the chanting that is broadcast across the city. I'd heard people talk about it before and was hoping I'd get to hear it. And now I'm pretty sure I'm up for the day.

The flights went amazingly smooth. No weather delays at all. All flights on time. This was by far the longest trip both Roger and I have ever taken, and wow, is it long!!!! From the time we were on the runway in Springfield to the time we hit the runway in Addis, over 24 hours had passed. Kind of felt like we flew halfway around the world, you know? And, Meredith, I can understand why you were dreading the flight back with a baby. It's kind of hard to imagine how we'll do it in such cramped quarters, but we will figure it out, I know. I'm so glad we flew Ethiopian Air. Not only for the most direct and shortest route time-wise, but because we were surrounded by Ethiopians. Truly the most beautiful people we've ever seen. We feel so honored, humbled, and blessed to be adopting a child from Ethiopia.

We arrived at the airport last night at 8:30 and I think were finally out of the airport and into a taxi at about 11:00. Lots of long lines for visas, customs, and then baggage checks. I am so glad we've had multiple friends who have traveled before us and were able to pass down lots of advice on what to expect upon arrival in Ethiopia. In just the short time we've been here, it has made all the difference in the world. It was exactly as we expected and we were able to navigate and make decisions quickly based on all of the invaluable information that has been passed down to us. Just as we expected, there was no hotel shuttle to pick us up, but we just ended up getting a taxi and it worked out fine. A tiny little Toyota from the '80s with three of our huge suitcases tied on the top that wouldn't fit in the trunk. Quite a sight to see. There were lots and lots of people out on the streets as we drove to our hotel. I have a feeling that's pretty normal every night, but it was Ethiopian Christmas yesterday, so maybe that had something to do with it. This place is like nowhere we've been, yet it seems vaguely familiar. The smells and sounds are completely new and foreign, but the sights I think remind us of other places we have traveled, namely Aruba and Mexico once you get away from the resort areas.

We will try to update the blog tonight with pictures. Time to get ready for this long awaited for day!

4 comments:

Matt said...

Keep the updates coming!!! Love it!

wilms said...

Have a wonderful day with your son! Love you 3!!!

Gina said...

Enjoy your time at the transition home! Sounds like you are up and ready to go. Do you get to take your son back to the place with you? Are you guys staying at the Yeka House or the Panorama Hotel? Blessings on your day. :)
Gina

Josh & Sara said...

I have goosebumps all the way in Omaha for you (an no, not because of our subzero temperatures!!!). Lots of love today!

Sara

Ari