Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Last Day...

As we were having dinner with the in-laws tonight (mark & erin), I realized that today's date is February 11th. Yes, I knew it was February 11th all day, but tonight is when I realized there is actually a little significance with the 11th of the month. The "US" picture on the left was taken September 11th, 2008. Our great friend, and tech-wizard Matt Spindler invited me and Abby to go to the Cardinals vs. Cubs game @ Busch Stadium. We had awesome seats (thanks, Matt), ate and drank for free (thanks, Matt) and had the times of our lives. Again, thanks, Matt! It was a rare night when Abby and I actually carried our camera with us and used it. There are lots of great shots from that night, but this is by far my favorite. (Duh, that's why we used it as our "US" photo.)

I remember driving to St. Louis on September 11th. Abby and I had found out exactly a week earlier that the first round of IVF didn't work. So the whole way up there we were discussing if/when we would do the second round of IVF. The drive to STL is 220+ miles, which isn't bad unless you do it over and over again, week after week. Driving home on the 12th we both decided that we did our one and only round of IVF. The time and drive were just too much. Not to mention the emotional (and physical, on Abby) toll it took.

So I consider September 11th the "Last Day". September 11th, 2008, is officially the last day I had zero thoughts about adoption. It's the last day my mind went without having a single thought about Ethiopia. It's the last day Abby and I tried to control everything. Since that day all we've talked about is Adoption. Since that day all we've thought about is Ethiopia. Since that day we have Let Go and Let God.

September 12th is the day we decided no more IVF! September 12th is the day my mom Louanna (aka: "Mom-Wasson," "Mom," "Lou") told us about an adoption fundraiser that her friend Julie (aka: "Rob's wife," "Caden's Mom," "Jeff Gordon Fan/Freak") was going to on September 13th. See, we started having thoughts of adoption/Ethiopia on the 12th. Then we went to the fundraiser on the 13th - met Jayden and Caden - and had the seeds planted in our minds & hearts to adopt from Ethiopia.

So, this photo is the "Last Day." The day before our journey would begin. I'm so glad we have this photo and these memories. So one day when our kid(s) complain that we are boring we can bring up these photos and show them how cool we used to be -- before we were driving them around in a Rav-4 (don't get me started) listening to the BeeGees sing "Ring-around-the-Rosey" (I'm sure they have a Kids Album...I'm just holding off looking for it.)

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is a really great post - meaningful and honest. It's amazing how your life can take an entirely new direction and something that seemed so difficult at one point becomes much less painful at another. I love the photos of the two of you. It's very sweet and you look so happy. You guys are a super cute couple.

And I have something totally sarcastic to say, but I'm not going to do it, because I DO have self control!

Ari